Monday, August 27, 2007

Getting Cranky

Over the last few days, I've been working on a replacement crank for the crosslide on my Taig. The stock crank is functional but very small. I wanted something more robust with more leverage. I also wanted a spinner handle for smoother cranking. This is what I came up with:


The spinner handle was made out of aluminum, the rest of the assembly is free machining steel (12L14). It took me a few days to make as I was working without drawings, and basically making it up as I went. Really turned out nice and is so more much comfortable to use. I can even tighten up the crosslide gibs a little more as I now have more leverage to turn the crosslide screw. I really want to get working on my first model, but I want to get all my mods done before I do. My next step is a milling column arrangement with the milling adapter which will mimic a 3 in 1 type machine. Also a leadscrew is in the works. Hope to get this done over the next week.

No comments: